UNITED NATIONS INDUSTRIAL DEVELOPMENT ORGANIZATION
Position of a National Project Coordinator
for an International E-waste Management Project in Ethiopia
Due to the rapid economic growth e-waste in Ethiopia is increasingly generated by both new and second hand equipment. The main environmental impacts of c-waste arise from toxic contents that are partly released to the environment during unsound processing and/or disposal. Therefore, it has to be ensured that environmentally sound solutions are applied when e-waste is collected, treated and disposed of. With the view to strengthen the on-going effort to that effect, the Ethiopian Government and UNIDO-launch a project co-financed by the Global Environmental Facility (GEF) on sound c-waste management in Ethiopia.
The main objectives of the project are:
Establishment of a national c-waste strategy for Ethiopia
- Regulatory and policy framework on sound c-waste management
- Financing mechanisms and organization of collection, treatment, and disposal
- Capacity building, training, etc.
Upscale of current operations at the Akaki Refurbishment and Demanufacturing Center
- Review and optimize infrastructure and operations
- Identification of downstream markets for treatment fractions
- Business model development for long-term sustainability of the facility
- Setup and introduction of environmental and occupational health standards in the facility
UNIDO is offering the fulltime position of a national project coordinator based in Addis Ababa to support the successful project implementation in Ethiopia.
Required key skills:
• Excellent project management and communication skills in English
• Understanding and background of Ethiopian environmental policies
• Good knowledge of solid waste management practices
The National Coordinator (NC) is expected to initiate, organize and coordinate all project activities on the national level in close cooperation with UNIDO and an international project coordinator (IPC)The NC’s core tasks include in particular
• Locally plan, manage and implement the project activities
• Assist in identifying and coordinate national consultants for task forces
• Lead the national project team
• Provide a secretariat function for the national project Steering Committee (SC), such as organizing and participating in SC meetings, preparing the minutes of the meetings, etc.
• Regularly report to the Steering Committee, UNIDO and the IPC
• Initiate and organize workshops and meetings
• Liaize with all relevant stakeholders in Ethiopia
• Represent and promote the project on national level at Government ministries, Government commissions, major private sector associations, and other NGOs
Required Qualifications and Experience
The NC is expected to meet at least the following requirements:
• University degree in related field of study
• Knowledge of environmental management, waste management and sustainable development issues in Ethiopia
• Basic knowledge about c-waste and the developments in the c-waste sector in Ethiopia
• At least five years of experience and strong skills in project development, implementation and management
• Analytical and solution oriented thinking and ability to work under pressure
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in teams
• Good knowledge of Microsoft Office or similar software
• Fluency in speaking and (report) writing in English
Terms of Contract:
Contract Type: Fulltime
Contract duration: 24 months starting from April 2013
Remuneration: According to established UN rates for locally recruited staff and based on qualification and experience
Duty station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia with occasional regional and international travel
Interested candidates are requested to send their applications together with non-returnable copies of their updated CV and supporting documents via e-mail at: office.ethiopiaunido.org or mail to:
UNIDO Regional Office,
P.O. Box: 14771
Closing Date for Application is March 8, 2013.
Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.