ORBIS is a nonprofit, global development organization whose mission is to eliminate avoidable blindness in developing countries. How do we do this? By strengthening the capacity of our local eye health partners to prevent and treat avoidable blindness.
Through capacity building, our partners gain self-sufficiency in providing quality eye care, and residents enjoy quality treatment that is affordable, accessible and sustainable.
Capacity building encompasses:
ORBIS International is a nonprofit humanitarian organization that works in developing countries to save sight worldwide. ORBIS prevents and treats blindness through hands- on training, public health education, improved access to quality eye care, and partnerships with local health care organizations in an effort to eliminate avoidable blindness. ORBIS International-Ethiopia is a legally registered Country Office of this organization, carrying out the same mission in Ethiopia.
ORBIS International-Ethiopia is seeking to recruit a qualified Program Assistant & Public Relations Officer. The Program Assistant& Public Relations Officer reports to the Country Director. The main functions consist of, but not limited to the following:
• Select and prepare publication materials in support of the achievements and activities of ORBIS Ethiopia.
• Liaise with the media to cover important ORBIS Ethiopia events when approved.
• Prepare press reports and news releases for public and private media based on events, meetings, conferences and other matters of interest concerning ORBIS Ethiopia, and have them approved.
• Act as liaison between the organization and the public, stakeholders etc in sharing approved information and approved news releases.
• Coordinate and lead the publication of bulletins when required.
• Initiate programs/events and arrange internal meetings and workshops, social gatherings stage shows special exhibitions to promote the goodwill and attraction of the organization and its goals.
• In collaboration with Program staff, coordinate global programs like Flying Eye Hospital, Hospital Bases Program Cyber sight Fellowship etc
• Visit projects at least quarterly to collect information (case stories) relevant for PR and Program purposes
• Coordinating visits and arrange guide for local and international guests
• Retain pictures/photos during events (campaigns trainings workshop etc)
• Collect and edit case studies on regular basis and timely share with all concerned.
• Support Program Department with editorial works of Concept Papers Project Plans, Quarterly, Annual, Donor-Specific Periodic Activity Reports, Research Papers etc.
• Maintain complete record of all projects data both in soft and hard copies handle proper documentation of OE programs and achievements:
• Liaise with Embassies, other Government & Non-Government, and International organization to process activities related to the organization
• Perform other activities assigned by the supervisor.
• B.A Degree in Journalism, Public Relations, the English Language, or other related fields
• Minimum of five years experience in public relations/communications/liaison, out of which at least one year in a supervisory position.
• Experience in Project Management or in related areas is a big advantage.
• Experience in Special High-Profile Event Organization and Coordination is a big advantage.
• Excellent in written and spoken English
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (verbal & written)
• Well versed in editorial work
• Ability to work under stressful time-bound circumstances
• Strategic and clear thinking ability
• Proficiency in computer use, especially in MS Word and Publisher
• Well versed in still photography and videography skills
• Proactive and comfortably meet deadlines
• Accepts accountability for work assigned and performed
• Ability to work effectively in a team-driven environment and travel extensively
• NGO experience is a big advantage
EMPLOYMENT: Long term in line with the organization’s country program
SALARY: As per the Organization’s Scale
Duty Station: Head Office with broad field works that require intensive field travels
Applicants who fulfill the minimum requirements can send their CV and non-returnable copies of their certificates and testimonials of professional work experience and supporting documents to the following address within 10 days from the date of 06-05-2012. Only short-listed applicants will be communicated.
22 Mazoria — Rebecca Building 3rd Floor Room No. 306
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia